Just a few months ago my pals Doug and Bryan asked me to design a logo for their new venture: Big Gay Ice Cream Truck. Running an ice cream truck business seemed to be a perfectly reasonable project for the pair since one is a professional bassoonist and the other is an event planner. Right...

After procrastinating and batting around several different directions, the final concept came to me as I was drifting off to sleep. I dragged my ass out of bed to scribble my new vision on a scrap of paper in the kitchen and the next morning I whipped these up. I took the iconic silhouettes of the truck and cone and gave it a gay twist by adding the rainbow stripes, updating and saturating the colors to make it a little more modern.

The response to the logos and the actual ice cream cones has been fab. In addition to classic "sprinkles" the more adventurous can sample exotic toppings like Trix cereal, fresh blueberries with or without Saba (a thickened sweet Balsamic), Organic Vermont maple syrup, Dulce de Leche, and even Cayenne pepper "to spice up the chocolate." YUM!


Silly wabbit, Trix are for cones! Drool.


I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream.


Doug Quint told Serious Eats "Let's face it, ice cream trucks are kind of queer, and a middle-aged white man driving one is pretty suspect... That's not to say that I'm a rolling hotbed of perversion. Hardly the case. It's all in the name of silly."

CLICK IT, DON'T LICK IT:

Big Gay Ice Cream Truck.com Stay up to date on all of their ice cream related news and activities. Of course you can follow them on Twitter and Facebook, too. And don't forget to check out their groovy swag: tee shirts and other crap. See more of my work at Jason O'Malley Illustration.


Read what the liberal media elites (and even The NY Post!) are saying about the Truck:

Time Out NY One of the city's "best mobile eats"
Eat Me Daily Read all about their debut at Brooklyn Gay Pride.
The New York Post writes about "the dancing queen of ice cream trucks"

They're even singing about the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck!

6 comments

  1. Unknown // June 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM

    I love the color saturation on the logo. Can't wait to sample all the treats with the flavors.

  2. Anonymous // June 14, 2009 at 7:32 PM

    Love, Love Fucking LOVE IT!!!! I was looking at this earlier in the week and thought the concept was genius, big ass gay fucking ice cream truckster action...um yum, for all the right connotations and juxtapositions. The logo super-genius, it truly reads psychedelic with a bit of brain freeze and sugar black out rolled into one. Fucking genius, did I say this already, love it...genius...yes.

  3. joe*to*hell // June 14, 2009 at 9:02 PM

    i want a part time job driving it. im uber gay and fruity

  4. joe*to*hell // June 14, 2009 at 9:03 PM

    ps - is that hard candy font

  5. Doodle Whore // June 14, 2009 at 9:19 PM

    Thx Jocko! And yes, it is the Hard Candy font: VAG Rounded.

  6. gilmore // June 15, 2009 at 9:43 PM

    Love it, love it, love it! Love the logo(s), love the twist on the gay colors, love the toppings..... I'm sold. Put me down for a large cone with maple syrup. YUM! Hope your friend's business will be a huge success for them.
    Glad you're back to posting on this site.