Welcome to the Rural Modernist Studio

It's always been a pipe dream of mine to have a little studio space of my own where I could work on my various extra curricular creative projects at my own leisurely pace and then throw the doors open to the public so they could peruse my various wares in one location. Finally, the dream has come true right here in Stone Ridge, New York in the Hudson Valley.

I still make my living as an illustrator, but I also do custom portraits, Rural Modernist Ceramics (and now handmade soaps and candles), Handsome Devil Press greeting cards, and Doodle Whore. And my partner, J.R. Craigmile, a production accountant for film and t.v. by day, is an avid collector of outsider art by night. When this space became available I just mashed it all together and somehow it all just works. If you find yourself in the Catskills/Hudson Valley 'hood on a weekend, come on over and say hello.

Rural Modernist Ceramics by Jason O'Malley takes center stage (at the moment). I blogged about taking my first pottery class almost two years ago and I'm still at it. You can see J.R.'s outsider art displayed salon style on the far wall.

Jason's Madonna Face Project is throwing shade from the back wall.

Gotta cigarette?

I've really stretched myself by adding matte black glaze to my usual color palette of high gloss white. Baby steps, people.

Rural Modernist soy candles wrapped in Eames-y mid-century flavored papers. They smell clean and fresh and mask a multitude of unpleasant odors with flair.

Rural Modernist Studio
3780 Main Street (rear cottage)
Stone Ridge, NY 12484
Open weekends from 1-5 pm or by appointment

* Follow us on Facebarf and Twatter (I still don't know how to use it, but since everyone else is doing it I'll at least make an attempt) for the latest news, announcements, special offers, comments, suggestions, criticisms, previews, polls, dog pictures, gardening projects, etc. (And that's going to be the best way to find out when we're open, too.)

6 comments

  1. joe*to*hell // July 16, 2010 at 1:23 PM

    YAY!

  2. The Rural Modernist // July 16, 2010 at 3:16 PM

    It's about time, right?

  3. Erika // July 16, 2010 at 3:17 PM

    I'm clutching my pearls at you *adding color* to your all white pottery. Are you suuuurreeee? ;-)

    Wow. This is so cool. I am so proud of you, growing up so fast since you were that cute little twink working with all of us at Lig. *grins!*

    This is a dream! XOXOOXO!!

  4. Karen/Small Earth Vintage // July 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM

    Beautiful! And I can vouch that it smells great, too. Kadooze and congrats! xoxox

  5. Unknown // July 18, 2010 at 3:27 PM

    Great blog Jason and good luck with Rural Modernist. Can't wait to check it out in person.

    Best, David @ Changes - Woodstock

  6. Unknown // July 18, 2010 at 3:29 PM

    Great blog Jason and good luck with Rural Modernist. Can't wait to check it out in person.

    Best, David @ Changes - Woodstock