Since I spend virtually all of my time on the computer, I was itching to do something totally analog and old school and really get my hands dirty. So, I took a two month class at the Women's Studio Workshop in Rosendale, NY. I convinced my fellow country bumpkin and blog bud Joe to join me so I wouldn't be the only dude in the building. Luckily, they embraced our male auras completely and welcomed us into the sisterhood.

I started off with a big ole hunk of clay (fig. 1), gradually learned how to throw on the wheel (fig. 2), and ended up with this charming collection of vessels, vases, and bowls (fig. 3). I was very consciously trying my best to channel Eva Zeisel and Jonathan "See ya' later, decorator" Adler and it's a lot harder than it looks to get those wavy gravy curves and silhouettes. Nowadays I'm really digging the futuristic/archaic pots at Atwater Pottery and the Ernst Haeckel radiolarian inspired sculptures of Pamela Sunday. I'm looking forward to knocking them both off next semester since I'm too cheap to buy the real thing.

4 comments

  1. joe*to*hell // December 22, 2008 at 12:11 PM

    you are a natural. a true artiste. i'm in awe of your claybilities. oh, i made a bowl.

  2. alexis // December 22, 2008 at 4:45 PM

    Love the "Ghost' reference - can JR dance like Patrick? Are those matte white or just not painted yet. Really gorgeous, love the little round fat one that channels McCoy.

  3. Doodle Whore // December 22, 2008 at 6:15 PM

    Thanks! They're actually super high gloss white and I left some parts unglazed for contrast. And I wouldn't say JR dances like Patrick Swayze, but he will do The Worm at the drop of a hat.

  4. kewlb // January 9, 2009 at 7:56 PM

    The pots are beautiful! I Adler needs to watch his back. ;-)