I launched my first blog, Doodle Whore, over a year ago as a repository for my doodles and observations on popular culture (OK, mainly Britney, cough cough).

But I also have a passion for antiquing, flea marketing, interiors, art, crafts, music, food, and architecture which I wanted to blab about, but it really didn't fit in with my trashy Doodle Whore oeuvre. I'm a voracious reader of design blogs and shelter mags, but I find that many are simply too girly, too decorator-y, too serious, or just too perfect for me. If I have to read one more story about Hollywood Regency slipper chairs or floral abstract poppy patterned tea towels I'll barf.

So here I give you my perspective as The Rural Modernist: an illustrator and greeting card peddler living two hours north of New York City in the Catskills with his boyfriend and dog, listening to The Smiths and Madonna while rearranging the furniture, surfing the net for more crap, scavenging through barns and tag sales, watching bad t.v., and keeping the bears out of the bird feeder*.

Yours truly,
The Rural Modernist

* OK. I don't actually do that because I'm in charge of the inside and my bf's in charge of the outside. And I'm a total wuss. There, I said it.

P.S. for all of you peeps coming from the house tour on Apartment Therapy, here's the place for you to ask questions and get some answers about my pad and my stuff. On my next post I'll be going more in-depth about those cheap woven grass floor poofs, my Smiths posters, the tacky plate collection, and much more.

8 comments

  1. Anonymous // December 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM

    OMG that grizzly bear with the Jacobsen chair is so cute.

  2. Anonymous // December 18, 2008 at 1:34 PM

    This is EXACTLY what the world needs now. Thank you for putting another hole in your head. Maybe you can makeover our house as a topic.

  3. alexis // December 18, 2008 at 2:40 PM

    I love the graphic.

    And uh, weren't those cheap woven grass poofs a gift??

  4. Anonymous // December 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM

    Best of luck on the new blogdeavor!

  5. Patty // December 18, 2008 at 7:01 PM

    I LOVE the bear! Is he shopping or rampaging? It really doesn't matter. I'd read about either! I'm still "trapped" in the city, but I hope to one day take my modernist sensibilities out into the woods of Western Washington. Great new blog. Congrats!

  6. joe*to*hell // December 19, 2008 at 11:24 AM

    i love country bears. the kind that hibernate in my room....wooooof

  7. Anonymous // December 19, 2008 at 4:28 PM

    Great, Jason, Just what I need, yet another RSS to check. OYE. I must though, I must. Anything DW creates must be followed.

  8. Anonymous // December 20, 2008 at 9:29 PM

    Hi Jason
    This sounds very exciting, I can't wait to see more!!