My favorite part about Apartment Therapy isn't the editorial content, but rather the comments that people leave. I feel super fortunate that when my house tour was on AT the comments were mostly positive; I was bracing myself for a wave of criticism and nitpickery that never really materialized. I'm not exactly a delicate flower, but make fun of my living room and I'll kick you in the pussy then go cry in a corner.

Anyway, today's post about Micheal Stipe's Tribeca loft really whipped the AT peanut gallery into a lather because it wasn't styled and art directed to death. I found the space that he shares with main squeeze/artist Thomas Dozol to be delightfully disheveled. It's real, lived in, and authentic. Although I personally loath clutter and disorder, I love seeing how other people live and work, warts and all. The photos were shot by The Selby who has made a celebrated career for himself by photographing creatives of all species in their natural habitat. If the late great Nest magazine were still around, I'm sure he'd be shooting for them.

CLICK IT, DON'T LICK IT:
The Selby A bracingly fresh take on interior photography and portraiture.
Apartment Therapy Scroll down and read the silly comments (there are some clever ones, too).

Credits: photo by The Selby, graphics by The Rural Modernist, text comprised of actual comments from the Apartment Therapy post

4 comments

  1. Charmaine // January 15, 2009 at 6:24 PM

    Micheal Stipe is a tool and, now we know, a bit of a slob. But, who cares? Can't a man pile some clothes on his dresser without facing the derision and scorn of the AT peanut gallery? Really, aren't there more pressing matters to get riled up about these days?

  2. Anonymous // January 15, 2009 at 7:28 PM

    "Make fun of my living room and I'll kick you in the pussy then go cry in a corner."
    You are my hero!

  3. Anonymous // February 10, 2009 at 1:05 PM

    I thought everyone knew Ms. Stipe was a gay.

  4. Anonymous // February 19, 2009 at 11:13 PM

    I gotta say you hit the nail on the head with these irritating AT comments. So many small minded douche nozzles out there.