Gray Pride

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 | | 4 comments »

I love the color gray.
Or grey.
Whichever you prefer. It's modern, It's classic; It's contemporary, It's traditional.
It's the ultimate neutral.

Beige or tan (or taupe or bone or cream or khaki) is far too boring and outdated to be the neutral that ties your interior decor together. Those shades are bland and non-descript; they say "I'm safe, because everything goes with me". Not gray...it says "I'm the color of chic, and not only do I go with everything, but I make everything around me look better!"

Gray makes the loudest noise in small doses. Accessories in gray can infuse some serious attitude and a design kick-in-the-ass. So, to inaugurate my "11 Things" series, I'd like to share eleven things that I think you should know about and where to get them (some of my favorite sources, by the way!) - all in shades of gray.


1. Bangkok Gourd Vase by Blissliving, available at Bobby Berk Home.
2. Jonathan Adler's Tangiers Pillow from his namesake store.
3. Simple Votive Holders, but a little more striking in a deep gray glass, from Brocade Home.
4. The best thing you can do for your floors is FLOR, and this new pattern, The Best Of Both Wools, at their site.
5. Kartell's Papyrus Chairs are their latest seating masterpieces, and can be found at Hive Modern.
6. From my favorite modern light shop is the Stamen Modern Pendant - all hand blown - at Niche Modern.
7. Wallpaper isn't for everyone....but if you want to go there, Flavor Paper's Vapor is a fresh take, at Walnut Wallpaper.
8. Sometimes, simple says everything, and this Simple Felt Basket at DWR is perfect for that catch-all we all need.
9. These Terrazzo Urn Lamps are great to tie classic and modern elements in a room together, at PIeces.
10. It's a stool, a table, a nightstand, a stepladder...whatever you want! Gus' Steel Cube at Mod Decor.
11. Natural Curiosities VIntage Poster let's you segregate at home, from Tonic Home.

Please welcome our latest columnist to The Rural Modernist fold, Joe Armenia from Campagna Home. He will be weighing in on his latest design obsessions, tips, and finds on a regular basis and I couldn't be happier since it means less work for me.

4 comments

  1. Anonymous // October 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM

    Joe has good taste!

  2. Anonymous // October 21, 2009 at 8:42 PM

    I want that hippy poster immediately.

  3. Erika // October 21, 2009 at 9:45 PM

    Nice! Once a slacker, always a slacker. :-) I approve!

  4. brandy101 // October 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM

    a grey-taupe is now on my short list for a paint color in the bedroom...thanks for the reminder about this wonderfully un-boring neutral!