Last night a DJ saved my life

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 | | 3 comments »

Hurts They're being heralded as "the new Depeche Mode" (they're not), but there is certainly a Violator era Depeche-iness about these two handsome lads from the UK. I'm loving the early 90's L'Uomo Vogue fashion spread flavor of the video for Wonderful Life. Thanks to my blog bud over at BPMMM for turning me on to them.


"Stay" is the track that really gets my manties in a twist. It has a grand, synthy, sweeping melodramatic hook that's very Question of Lust combined with the soaring gospel choir chorus Madonna employed to great effect on Like a Prayer.

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart Aside from the tediously long art school angsty name of the band, I'm absolutely enamored with this song. They're reminiscent of Glasvegas, who coincidentally was my most listened to band of 2009. I'm a sucker for music with Phil Spector-esque reverb, Jesus and Mary Chain-y drums, Smiths-y jingle jangly guitars, and sullen romantic lyrics. And I only know them because of the magical witchcraft that is Pandora's spookily accurate algorithms.

Scissor Sisters What can I say other than the song is über catchy and lead singer Jake is running around in boxer briefs while being shot with a sushi cannon. Isn't that enough?

If you want to hear more, just listen to Rural Modernist Radio on the Pandora machine and don't hold it against me if some really weird and random stuff ends up in the mix. So what's in heavy rotation on your Victrola these days?

3 comments

  1. joe*to*hell // September 1, 2010 at 3:00 PM

    i find HURTS more Cause and Effect than DM

  2. The Rural Modernist // September 1, 2010 at 3:02 PM

    HAHA yeah you're probably right about that...

  3. Anonymous // September 5, 2010 at 9:35 AM

    thanks for the shout! Regardless of who they sound like... Hurts embody everything I like about music. Everything.