I was up way too late last night nestled into my Fatboy in front of the fire, watching Nancy Grace PBS on the telly while surfing the internets on my shiny new Macbook. As a text-book Taurus, I've subconsciously managed to create the perfect nesting spot/connectivity womb right there on the living room floor. It's wonderful and kind of disturbing all at the same time.

I digress.

I was fortunate to stumble upon the fabulous blog of Mr. Peacock. For starters, anybody who refers to themselves as "Mr. Peacock" deserves kudos in my book, and his gentlemanly Maximalist style musings really get the creative juices flowing. As a cargo pant wearing Minimalist/Scandinavianist, I'm always drawn to the white space; it's the graphic designer in me. But secretly, I long to be a wanton Maximalist layering on pattern, color, and texture with wild abandon while wearing a waistcoat and ascot. Says Mr. P. "The apartment is a mix of: old/new, high-end/low-end, hand-me-downs, gifts and tag sale pieces." My kind of dandy.


A surrealist ceramic hand keeps the skeleton keys organized in the hall, peacock pillow cases grace the boudoir.


Decoupaged birds nest around the smoke detector in the foyer.


Sparkle, Gio, sparkle! These classic Ponti chrome chairs really shine in a neutral nook.

CLICK IT, DON'T LICK IT:
Mr. Peacock His blog.
Design Sponge Sneek Peek Check out his nest.
Decoupage 101 It's not just for grannies anymore. Clip it, glue it, just do it.
Surrealism Every home needs a dollop of whimsy.

P.S. I'm always on the lookout for masculine voices in the design blogosphere which is dominated by women. I'm all for sugar and spice, but it's high time for snips and snails to get their due as well. If you have a fave please share it with me.

7 comments

  1. Charmaine // February 4, 2009 at 3:09 PM

    The birds on the ceiling are incredible!

  2. Anonymous // February 4, 2009 at 6:02 PM

    I totally plan on decoupaging my bathroom with Ernst Haeckel radiolarian etchings ASAP.

  3. Anonymous // February 4, 2009 at 6:06 PM

    Wow! It's bursting with fabulosity. Love it. Tell me, does Mr. Peacock wear an ascot?

  4. vicki archer // February 5, 2009 at 3:13 AM

    Love this maximalism and thanks for the tip about Mr Peacock - off to see what he has to say right now, xv.

  5. Anonymous // February 5, 2009 at 1:31 PM

    tell the truth...you were also wearing your snuggie.
    decoupage ????for real???

  6. Anonymous // February 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM

    This is easily my favorite new favorite blog. Your foyer ceiling is so inspiring--- I haven't decoupaged in years, but I just may have to bring that beat back. Great looking home!

    xoxo

  7. Anonymous // March 16, 2009 at 12:30 PM

    Loving the ceiling!